Signs of Autism in Adults: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a very commonly diagnosed neurodevelopmental disorder. Autism is usually diagnosed very early, in the initial years. However, autism in teens is diagnosed much later. As the age changes in autism diagnosis, the symptoms also tend to change.
The most commonly diagnosed is autism in childhood and the most commonly misunderstood is autism in adults. The signs and symptoms of autism in adults are different from those that one experiences when diagnosed in childhood or teenage.
Getting an autism diagnosis in adulthood doesn’t necessarily mean their autism went undiagnosed in childhood. The possibility of having symptoms of autism in childhood is there but the severity of those symptoms might be low or not alarming.
Therefore, it’s important to know the signs and symptoms of adult autism and today we are going to talk all about autism in adulthood…
What Is Autism In Adults?
Autism in adults is when one experiences the symptoms of autism in adult life. Autism is a difficult condition to live with but adult autism is a bitter-sweet condition. When an adult is dealing with autism, they tend to face problems with social interactions, get fixated on routines, or experience sensitivities to light or sound.
That’s the bitter face of adult autism but the fact that you are old enough to understand your condition and are capable of choosing a support system is the sweet face of it. An adult is at an advantage because comprehension is assumed to be better than a child.
However, this very ability for better comprehension can create more hurdles. The symptoms of autism in adults look very different from that in children, however adults can learn to live with those symptoms over the years with ease which is difficult in childhood.
Signs Of Autism In Adults
As per the diagnostic criteria suggested by the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental illnesses (DSM-V), there are a few symptoms that have to necessarily be exhibited by an individual to be diagnosed rightfully. Here are the common symptoms of autism;
- Difficulty communicating and
- Reduced interaction with others
- Repetitive behaviors
- A narrow or reduced set of interests
- Symptoms that affect the quality of life and functioning in all aspects of life
The awareness and curiosity about the symptoms of autism in adults have been increasing day by day. It is because of the increased diagnosis of adultism in adults recently. Understanding the symptoms of autism in adults can majorly benefit people.
Therefore, let’s at some other symptoms of adult autism;
- Struggle in interpreting others’ thoughts and feelings
- Difficulty in interpreting facial expressions, body language, or social cues
- Problems in regulating your emotion
- Struggle to keep a conversation going
- Give monologues on a favorite subject irrespective of other’s responses to it
- Engage in repetitive or routine behaviors
- Participate only in a tiny range of activities
- Rigid consistency in routine activities
Symptoms Of Autism In Adults At Home
- Have an eccentric way of doing things and getting things done in the house
- Feel a constant need for a friend to confide in but fail to find one.
- Tendency to invent new words and expressions to describe your thoughts & feelings
- Making involuntary noises like clearing your throat over and over even when silence is the utmost priority at that moment
- Can’t tolerate any change in your daily routine, get furious if there is a change.
- Lingual expressions, phrases, and idioms are confusing to you.
- You are always bumping into things and tripping over your own feet.
- Prefer to play individual games and sports, where everyone does their own thing rather than playing a collective game
Symptoms Of Autism In Adults At Work
- Don’t refer to making eye contact with your boss or other people in the office.
- Use a robotic speech with your colleagues.
- Each belonging has a designated space and does not tolerate anyone messing with the arrangement of the things on your desk.
- Struggle to succeed in areas that don’t include mathematical calculations or coding
- You talk to your co-workers the same way you talk with your family and friends.
- Making involuntary noises like clearing your throat over and over during meetings.
- You have difficulty telling if your boss is happy with your performance or mad at you.
What’s The Next Step In Autism In Adults?
The signs of autism are presented differently in adults, teens, and children. Therefore, it’s important to know what autism looks like at different ages. The first thing one needs to do is identify and understand the signs and symptoms of autism.
Along with that, you need to get your symptoms tested and diagnosed by a professional. Proper autism in adults test or a diagnosis is very important because sometimes symptoms can be misleading.
After being diagnosed with autism in adulthood, you can sit with your therapist/doctor and plan a suitable treatment plan and coping strategies. Along with that, building a strong support system is also important when dealing with autism in adults.
That’s All Folks!
I hope you found this blog about the signs of autism in adults helpful, informative, and interesting. Do share this blog with your friends and family because knowing the signs and symptoms of autism in adults can be beneficial for all.
Thanks for reading.
Take care and stay safe.