Transcendental Meditation: Your Complete Guide
Are you looking for a new meditation technique that is backed with science or that will offer you an abundance of benefits?
If yes, then your search ends here!
This is your complete guide to transcendental meditation. A form of meditation that recently got super famous and has nearly 5 million practitioners benefiting from it. So, are you ready to join this troop?
No, need more motivation?
Well, many celebrities including Ellen DeGeneres, Jerry Seinfeld, to name a few have claimed that Transcendental Meditation has changed their lives.
If they can, why do we miss this amazing meditation technique?
Let the journey to explore Transcendental Meditation begin…
What is Transcendental Meditation?
Transcendental Meditation aka T.M. or T. Meditation was introduced to the world through Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. It is an effortless form of meditation that helps your mind settle down. It involves use of mantras but is not completely mantra-oriented. The mantras are used to create a state of restful awareness while the meditation takes you to a tranquil state.
If you ask me to define T.M. in one line for you I would put it this way,
Close your eyes and recite your mantra silently!
But, then there is more than T.M. has to offer.
What are Mantras in Transcendental Meditation?
The great teacher of Transcendental Meditation Maharishi Mahesh Yogi said,
“Mantra is a specific thought which suits us, a suitable sound for us which we receive from a trained teacher of Transcendental Meditation. By using this mantra, the practitioner experiences the thought of that sound and starts minimizing that thought to experience the finer states of that thought – until the source of thought is fathomed and the conscious mind reaches the transcendental area of being.”
To put it in simpler words mantras are positive sounds that will help you grow in your life.
Example of Transcendental Meditation Mantras
Usually suggested by a TM teacher, some of the common mantras are:
- (Many others)
These Mantras are assigned based on your experience with the TM practice.
Disclaimer: OM or Hoomm is not considered as a transcendental mantra.
When you recite these Transcendental meditation mantras it is likely to sound like:
- Kiiiirrrrrriiiiiimmmmmm… Kiiiirrrrrriiiiiimmmmmm…
- .. Aaaaaaaenmaa…
- .. Iiiiingaaaa
- .. Shhhiaaammm…
- Aiinnggg… Aiiiiiinnnggggg….
Remember: While the mantra will help you stay focused and aware, the magic doesn’t lie here. The magic for TM technique lies in the fact that it is an effortless practice. When you reach this ease point you will see the magic happening.
Benefits of Transcendental Meditation
There is a pool of benefits (backed with science) that Transcendental meditation has to offer to its practitioners. This includes:
- Transcendental meditation makes you more calm.
- TM technique reduces the level of stress and anxiety.
- It has a positive impact on your immune system, eating habits, sleep patterns, blood pressure, and a lot more.
- TM practice makes you efficient and wise.
- The practice of Transcendental Meditation improves your coping abilities.
- TM will help you regain your inner peace.
- It provides you with positive and more energy.
- Transcendental meditation will improve your memory, focus, cognitive functioning, and emotional control.
- This practice lets the creative juices flow.
Along with this, there are many more benefits that are served with this Transcendental meditation! To avail them all you have to do is practice TM.
How Do I Practice Transcendental Meditation?
Many reports support that T.M. technique should be practiced with a certified teacher while other advice that this seven-step course can be learned on your own. So we are covering both the aspects of practicing TM in this write-up.
Learning and Practicing Transcendental Meditation with Teacher
If you are planning to learn TM technique through a certified teacher you have to go through a seven-step course of instruction. This is what this seven-step TM procedure will comprise of:
1. In the first step of the TM technique, the teacher shares the relevant information and impact of it through a 60-minute introductory lecture.
2. This is followed by another specific information related lecture of 45 minutes.
3. Further people who find the TM technique interesting and wish to learn it attend a 15-minute interview.
4. This is followed by 1-3 hours of personal instructions.
5. After this, a mantra is given to them (which is kept confidential).
6. The correctness of practice and mantra chanting is seen for the coming 3 days. It is done by 1-2 hours of instruction so that mantra chanting becomes perfect and a part of an individual’s daily lifestyle.
7. Over the coming months, the teacher meets the practitioner regularly to ensure that they are practicing the TM technique correctly.
Learning and Transcendental Meditation on Your Own
Here is a step-by-step for you to follow and practice TM:
Popular FAQs on Transcendental Meditation:
1. How much does Transcendental Meditation Cost?
The fee for learning TM practice varies widely across the globe. It costs around a hundred dollars for a typical 4-day course. An estimate proposed by its official website suggests it can cost around 1,000 USD for a complete course. It does offer scholarships, paying schedules, and group discounts!
2. Where can I get a teacher for my TM practice?
There is an official Transcendental meditation website, so you can connect with them to become a part of this enlightenment technique.
3. How frequently should you practice Transcendental Meditation?
It is recommended that you practice this meditation for 15-20 minutes in the morning and then in the evening. In the morning it is advised to practice it before breakfast.
A Full Video Guide on Transcendental Meditation:
So, are you trying transcendental meditation next?
If yes, do let us know in the comment section.
More power and peace to you…
This is so good. Thanks for this article.
Yes, definitely going to try transcendental meditation. Keep writing such inspirational content. More power to you.