Tiger Parenting: Effects, Pros & Cons
There are a lot of styles of parenting that different parents adopt. Some have the formally stated parenting styles like authoritarian parenting, permissive parenting, uninvolved parenting, etc. With these there are some other informally stated parenting styles as well like helicopter parenting, lawnmower parenting, tiger parenting, etc.
Today, we will be talking about one of the newly found parenting styles called ‘Tiger Parenting’. What does tiger parenting mean? Do you know how a tigress brings her cub up? Well, she is a very strict mother, there is no room for mistakes, her aim is to make the cub the strongest among the rest so that they can easily tackle any danger that they face.
Tiger parenting is somewhat similar to what a tigress does. But, the main question here is ‘For us humans, is tiger parenting good or bad?’ What are tiger mom parenting rules? Will this rigorous style of parenting benefit the child or will it be like added pressure? What are tiger parenting effect?
Let’s find out…
What Is Tiger Parenting?
The term tiger parent was first used by Amy Chua (2011) in her book “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom.” When someone asked her what does tiger parenting mean? She said that she used the tiger parenting style, inspired by Chinese parenting where the main aim is to focus on success.
Tiger parenting (tiger parenting method) is a very strict parenting style wherein the parent is very goal oriented and expects the child to be the same. A tiger parent is very authoritative and always tries to engage their child in doing something they think will make them successful in life.
This means the child is not allowed to take part in things that (according to their tiger parent) will divert them from focusing on their studies like sleepovers, playdates, recreational activities, movie nights, etc. such tiger mom parenting rules and ruin a child’s playfulness. The effects of tiger parenting are mainly seen in their performance, body language and how they feel about themselves.
Signs You Are A Tiger Parent
It is a fairly new style of parenting but only because it wasn’t identified earlier. Tiger parenting has been used for ages now and claim to have suffered the disadvantages of tiger parenting. You must have known a friend who’s parents would never allow them a fun getaway, they would always be attending one class after another. Such children are most likely undergoing tiger parenting. Now, you tell me, is tiger parenting an advantage or disadvantage for them ?
Let’s look at the signs of tiger parenting;
- You do not permit your child to spend time with their friends doing recreational stuff
- You always expect your child to excel in every field, in fact always get the first rank
- You don’t trust your child, you are constantly telling them to do things
- You have a very strict, rigid routine for your child where there is no room for play
- You want them to be successful in whatever they do by hook or by crook
- You are never satisfied with your children’s achievements, you always want more
- You force them to be best at everything
- You value standards more than emotions
- You have a set of rules and regulations for you children which you can’t break by any chance
- You’re children are scared of you because you leave no room for mistakes
Effects Of Tiger Parenting On a Child’s Mental Health
If you’ve read this far, I’m sure by now you have an idea of how strict and demanding tiger parenting is and are well aware of the tiger mom rules. This of course has some consequences on a child’s Mental well being. Have you heard of the saying, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”? Well, that’s what is happening here, tiger parenting can make your child dull and depressed. Tiger parenting has more disadvantages than advantages.
Here’s a list of effects tiger parenting can have on your child;
- Reduced self-esteem
- Reduced self worth
- Constant feeling of shame and guilt
- Anxiety and panic related issues
- Depression caused by constant disapproval form tiger parents
- Fear of failure
- Fear of decision making
- Maladaptive attachment
Pros And Cons Of Tiger Parenting
Having shared the consequences of tiger parenting on a child’s mental health, I’d like to share with you that tiger parenting does have a few positive aspects to it as well. Let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of tiger parenting (pros and cons of tiger parenting) for a clearer and better understanding;
pros & cons
- Encourages self-discipline
- Learn to work hard to be their best self
- They learn to be responsible
- They become focused and goal-oriented
- Feel overburdened and pressurized
- There fear making mistakes
- Become dependent to parents
- Reduced cognitive and emotional development
That’s All Folks!
I hope you found this blog thought provoking, informative and interesting. What do you think? Are you a tiger parent or were you raised by one? Tiger parenting has more disadvantages than advantages. In my understanding you can instill goal orientedness in your child through other parenting techniques like authoritative parenting.
Thanks For Reading.
Take care and stay safe.