10 Toxic Habits You Need to Kick to the Curb to Succeed in Life
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” — Winston S. Churchill
Isn’t it amazing how success works? Well, you might call it mysterious, but I prefer amazing. Success is that pot of gold that everyone craves but not everyone gets. To me, success has always been one step ahead, too far to reach. But, what I’ve (and I’m sure you too) have failed to realize is that success isn’t a step ahead, it’s always walking beside us; matching step by step.
So why can’t we see it; reach it? It could be because of the toxic habits that hold us back from achieving our goals. Just like that clutter in your attic that you keep meaning to clean out, these destructive and toxic habits can pile up until you’re buried under their burden, suffocating your goals and dreams.
So, roll up your sleeves and get to work on kicking these toxic habits that hold you back from achieving your goals and success to the curb. I have listed some of the most common toxic habits that hold us back from success and how you can let them go, so keep reading!
10 Toxic Habits You Need to Let Go Of
Ah, procrastination. The one nation that never lets us move forward in life. Trust me, we’ve all been there, promising ourselves that we’ll start exercising tomorrow, work on that project in an hour, or even finish our tasks in a while; tomorrow never comes though. If you want to achieve your goals and succeed in life, you need to break free from the procrastination trap.
Yes, what we think is just another part of our thought process can be a toxic habit holding us back. Overthinking might help you make decisions, but it’s also a habit that can paralyze you with self-doubt. You need to let go of your overthinking powers to truly take control of your decision-making skills.
3. Comparing Yourself With Others
We often think that others are doing so much better than us, so why can’t we? But we fail to understand that grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Constant comparison with others can make you feel like you’re falling short of your expectations – realistic or not. Your journey is your own and it doesn’t have to be identical to others. Enjoy your success without falling into the comparison trap.
You don’t always have to be perfect in what you do. You are not an AI bot, but a human. And as a human, it’s in your nature to make mistakes and be imperfect. Embrace your imperfections because perfection could be another toxic habit holding you back from achieving your goals. Instead of perfectionism, aim for progress.
5. Negative Thinking
Negative thinking and even negative self-talk is another toxic habit that you need to kick to the curb. Negative thoughts can be the party pooper no one wants around, so try to replace your pessimism with positive thoughts and self-talk. Once you reframe negative thoughts into positive ones, see how your confidence soars.
7. Fear of Failure
When we make a mistake or fail in a task, it’s normal to feel dejected and lost. But failure is the best teacher you can have, even if it terrifies you as nothing else. If you let the fear of failure rule your actions, then you’ll miss out on some of the most invaluable life lessons, so instead of letting this toxic habit build, try to learn from it and move forward.
Constantly seeking external validation is another toxic habit that holds us back from achieving our goals so you need to let go of this habit as well. You don’t always have to seek others’ validation and approval to pursue your passions, dreams, and goals. Learn to trust yourself and walk the path to your dreams on your own.
Do you also spend too much time thinking about your past mistakes or worrying about the uncertain future? Well, I used to do this so much that I forgot to live in the present. And because of this habit, I lost a lot of precious time with my loved ones. You can’t find inspiration or even success in your past or future. So let go of this toxic habit and learn to focus on what you can do today!
10. Not Leaving Your Comfort Zone
I LOVE my comfort zone. I mean who doesn’t? But it’s also the one thing that is holding me back, even now. I get it; your comfort zone is the best place to hunker down, but if you ask me nothing of importance grows in your comfort zone. It keeps you living in a stagnant state. To reach success and achieve your goals, you need to step out of your comfort zone.
11. Too Much Screen Time
Tech these days is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it’s a powerful tool to reach out and connect with others, but on the other hand, it’s the biggest distraction you can ever find. Check-in with yourself and see if too much screen time is your toxic habit and how you need to use it mindfully to your advantage.
How to Let Go of Toxic Habits?
1. See what triggers your toxic habit. Take time to detect why you engage in the toxic habit and why is it that this toxic habit holds you back. When you can figure out the trigger for them, you can take the next step in letting go of what holds you back.
2. Surround yourself with positive people and inspiration. People who radiate good vibes and positivity can help you kick your toxic habits to the curb. Positive energy, just like negative energy, is contagious, so be careful of who you hang around with.
3. Celebrate your wins even if they are small. Rewards can be those treasures that you come across in your journey to success. You might not be fighting quests for these treasures, but you do deserve them nonetheless. So, celebrate your small wins as they count the most.
4. Ignore the inner critic that nags all the time. You don’t have to be the party pooper, so whenever Nagging Nancy strikes, tell her to be quiet. For my Nagging Nancy, I have Positive Penny who counters with a witty comeback whenever Nagging Nancy says anything negative.
5. Learn to be patient with yourself. Success doesn’t come in a day. Habits take time to change so when you find yourself feeling stuck, tell yourself to be patient, and be kind to yourself. You’ll eventually get where you’re meant to be, so take it slow.
6. Use visualization to succeed in life. Close your eyes and envision yourself toxic-habit-free. How does it feel? What does life look like without toxic habits? Envisioning this will help you feel inspired and work on letting go of the toxic habits that hold you back.
Success is Right Here…
Breaking free from toxic habits that hold you back will not happen in a night. It will take effort, determination, and a lot of patience. You can start kicking these toxic habits to the curb by first identifying which toxic habit is holding you back. Then, you can take small steps to either let go of them or change them for the better.
Know that success is right next to you and while it’s a journey, it’s a journey worthwhile. The smallest changes and steps can mean the difference between success and failure. You aren’t walking alone on the single-plank bridge. We all have our little quirks and habits, but with some practice and patience, you can kick the bad habits holding you back to the curb and succeed in life like you’re meant to.
So, go ahead, and chase that pot of gold. It’ll be worth all the trouble. Let me know which toxic habit you have and what technique worked best for you to let go of your toxic habits holding you back from achieving your goals in the comments below.