Be Your Own Shield! Here’s What To Do When Your Support System Abandons You?
Unfortunately there are hundreds of people who have been abandoned by their friends and family. According to a survey conducted recently in Los Angeles, almost 22,000 children are abandoned every year.
That is almost 60 children are abandoned every day. The number has increased due to the pandemic. According to a report by The hindu many elderly people were abandoned during the lockdown.
Being cut off from your friends and family is tough. Having no support system can definitely take a toll on your mental wellness. The feeling of abandonment itself is a terrible feeling, leave alone having no one to share your feelings with.
This blog is for all of you who have lost their support system but are willing to fight the odds and stand strong. Here’s what you should do…
Tips to Protect Your Mental Health When Your Friends and Family Abandon You!
It’s important to have a support system so that you can deal with all that life throws at you. Good or bad, it’s better when you have someone that supports you.
If for some reason you are abandoned by them, don’t be disheartened. You have the strength in you to deal with whatever comes at you. Follow these tips so that your struggle does not damage your mental health.
1. First of all, not everyone understands your condition. So, give some people the benefit of the doubt. The first step is to free yourself for all the hurt you have stored in your heart. Begin with Forgiveness!
Don’t carry the emotional burden and pain in your heart. It’s best for your mental peace to let them go.
2. Treat yourself well. Now that you have forgiven others, it’s time for you to forgive yourself. It’s time you start treating yourself better. It’s the best kind of support you can get.
Indulge in positive self-talk. Be gentle and kind to yourself, don’t beat yourself up for something that’s not in your control.
3. Indulge in self care. Self-care is more important than you think it is. Your ‘self’ is the one thing that’s never going to abandon you. So, make sure you take care of it. It’s something that you need the most after your family chooses to cut ties with you.
- Take regular both water baths
- Listen to motivating podcasts
- Make a bucket list
- Have a Gratitude journal
- Make you friends
- Read, paint, travel, etc
- Fall in love (with work, plants, pets or a person), etc.
4. Find support! We are social beings and having a social support system can make our lives easy. Don’t let one bad experience ruin your entire life. Go out there, make new friends, create a family together.
I am sure there are many people out there who will resonate with you. You can begin with joining a support group.
5. Don’t shy away from asking for help. Being abandoned is not an easy thing to deal with. There is a lot of angst, emotions and hurt inside of you. If you are experiencing trouble with your emotions, ask for help!
Seeking professional help is the best thing to do when things go out of hand. If you’re not comfortable with that, talk to someone. It can be anyone, you can try using helpline numbers or online chat rooms.
6. Channelise your emotions. I know you have too many emotions but the strongest is anger and hurt. Try and use it to your benefit. Channelise your anger, invest your energy in self-improvement.
Release that rush of energy through exercise. Put all your attention, strength and energy in excelling professionally and personally.
7. Lastly, be patient! Patience brings a lot of power. You are not in the right frame of mind right now so be patient. Absorb everything that’s happening with you and around you.
Things will fall in place but for that you need to have patience. Try practicing mindfulness to build patience.
Food for thought
You are in a very testing phase in your life. Being abandoned by your friends and family is not an easy thing to deal with. You have an overflow of emotions and it’s really difficult to manage them at that point.
Try and follow these tips to manage your emotions and protect your mental health when you are abandoned by your support system. I am talking about both physical and emotional abandonment.
Believe in yourself!
I hope this blog helped you understand what you can do when your support system abandons you. If you know someone who is struggling do share this blog with them. Let’s help someone in need. You never know when someone is just looking for it!
Thanks for reading!
Take care and Be safe!