Do I have Trust Issues? Signs That Show You Have Trust Issues!
“Talking about trust, I was betrayed by the first love of my life. We were in a long-distance relationship, as he went abroad for further studies. After moving there, he never replied on time and he never took my calls on time. I started missing him so much so, one day I decided to surprise him by buying air tickets. The moment I reached there, I could not wait for him to come home.
So, I went to his college to surprise him. I saw him with another girl. And, literally, I was so shattered and without even meeting him, I just came back. After this instance, I stopped talking to him and tried to move on.
As time passed by, I was able to move on, I stopped missing him, but one thing that stayed for years was trust issues. I stopped trusting people. I stopped vibing with people as I believed that everyone was going to betray me as he did!”
This was shared with our anonymous reader and found that the trust issue is a growing concern these days. I discussed this as well with our certified mental health expert and found that trust issues are manifested by manipulation, betrayal, and abandonment.
Trust issues can be everywhere like from parents, partners, colleagues, friends, and even doctors. Trust issues generally become severe when someone breaks the trust on a personal level. Or, they can also be developed when someone experiences a traumatic event. It also develops when someone is experiencing paranoia or paranoid personality disorder.
Well, seems like trust issues are always developed because of some reason. However, while discussing trust issues with colleagues and mental health experts, someone asked, “Why do I have trust issues for no reason”? Well, to know this, let’s understand signs of trust issues first!
This blog is a one-stop platform to help you with trust issues. This blog includes signs that show you have trust issues along with tips for how to get over trust issues in a relationship. So, let’s get started.
Common Signs That Shows You Have Trust Issues:
1. You can sense betrayal.
You always assume that someone will betray you or you don’t trust even when the person is providing you rightful reasoning.
2. You are awaiting betrayal.
You always assume that you will be betrayed because of some past instances. Even, if they have changed and found guilty, your mind is still ready to not believe them.
Read Also :The Vicious Cycle Of Self-Betrayal
3. You carry an over-protective personality.
You are overprotective of your family, loved ones, and friends. And, you don’t trust them because you’re scared of losing them.
4. You are better at distance from people.
After someone’s betrayal, you believe that you are better off alone and you try your best at limiting your relationship with people in the fear of abandonment or betrayal.
5. You are scared of commitments.
No matter how much you’re in love with someone, you still refuse to commit to the relationship because of abandonment issues.
6. You don’t forget and forgive easily.
You don’t forget and forgive easily even when issues are really small.
7. You are always in cautious mode.
Every time you meet someone or interact with someone, it puts you in a cautious or suspicious mode.
8. You often feel depressed or lonely.
Due to the fear of abandonment and betrayal, you isolate yourself which often results in depression and loneliness.
How to Get Over Trust Issues?
If you feel like your trust issues are causing conflicts in your relationship or if you simply want to get over your trust issues in a relationship, surely it’s high time for revisiting the basics of trust in a relationship.
You can also take the help of these below steps to let go of your trust issues.
1. Learn to trust again by accepting the risks.
We are all flawed, we all have imperfections, and we all sometimes let others down even when we try harder not to! Therefore, try to understand others feelings, try building trust, do
2. Learn the working of trust.
I completely understand that trust does not build easily and it does not come freely. But, understand that sometimes it is worth waiting and trust in your loved ones.
3. Prepare your mind for taking emotional risks.
Sometimes, allow yourself to take emotional risks because sometimes they are worth it. Take your time but allow yourself to take all those emotional risks and be vulnerable towards taking commitments and creating healthy relationships.
4. Face your demons and build trust around them.
It’s okay to feel like this, but the question is for how long you’re going to feel like this? Therefore, take your first step and try to get over your trust issues. Fight with your demons, accept people and relationships, and try to move on.
5. Affirmation: Try Trust, Try, and Trust!
You’re scared of what if someone will betray you again? But, never thought what if someone stays, proves loyalty, does not leave you, and loves you for who you are! This can happen by overcoming your trust issues. Therefore, keep trying and keep trusting! Keep putting in your efforts.
6. Seek Professional Help.
If you’re still unable to get over your trust issues or don’t know what to do when you have trust issues for no reason. Seeking professional help will help you in evolving through your relationships. Therefore, try to seek help from a professional.
To Connect with a Certified and Experienced Counselor.
Quotes for Building Trust in your Relationship:
1. “He who does not trust enough will not be trusted.” – Lao Tzu
2. “To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved.” – George MacDonald
3. “Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.”- Maya Angelou
4. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” – Albert Einstein
5. “It’s good to trust others but, not doing so is much better.” – Benito Mussolini
6. “Fear leads to more fear, and trust leads to more trust.” – Dean Ornish
7. “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.” – Abraham Lincoln
8. “Trust dies but mistrust blossoms.” – Sophocles
9. “You can’t trust anybody with power.” – New Gingrich
10. “Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It’s the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” – Stephen Covey
11. “In this world, there was nothing scarier than trusting someone. But there was also nothing more rewarding.” – Brad Meltzer
12. “Quit questioning God and start trusting him.” – Joel Osteen
13. “Trust is not an obsession; it’s an extension of love. When we truly love someone, we give them our heart to hold in their hands. And when that love is returned, that very trust is a balm to our souls.” – Jullie Lessman
14. “You must train your intuition- you must trust the small voice inside you which tells you exactly what to say, what to decide.” – Ingrid Bergman
15. “People that have trust issues only need to look in the mirror. There they will meet the one person that will betray them the most.” – Shannon L. Adler
I hope this blog helps you to get over trust issues in your relationship. Comment down and share your insights on overcoming and handling trust issues in relationships. For more such content, follow Calm Sage on all social media platforms.
Thanks for reading!
More power to you.