Honest BetterHelp Review: Get The Best Mental Health Help You Need
Table of Content:
Telehealth or online therapy culture has recently seen a remarkable acceptance and popularity among the masses. Nowadays, people are not only being vocal about mental health but also taking care of their mental wellness. As a result of which people have started taking therapies more actively to promote mental wellness.
But it becomes really confusing to subscribe for one online therapy service when there are so many options available for you. To help you choose the best telehealth service we have reviewed one of the most popularly used online therapy apps- BetterHelp.
|Mobile Apps:||iOS, Android|
|Session Types:||Video, Chat, Voice, Messaging|
Pros & Cons
- Unlimited sessions with a dedicated professional therapist
- Convenient and easy-to-use mobile app
- Sessions can begin within 24 hours of signup
- Response time depends on the individual therapist
BetterHelp is a trustworthy, authentic, and affordable online therapy platform. So, if you are looking forward to seeking mental health help that fits in all these criteria BetterHelp is your one-stop destination. But, before you start your healing journey with BetterHelp here is an overview for you to refer to.
All About BetterHelp
BetterHelp is the world’s largest online therapy providing platform. This platform has nearly 7,800 licensed therapists that have met the needs of over 900,000 patients through almost 70 million sessions. BetterHelp team has made therapy by professionals easily accessible by all (anytime and anywhere). The biggest plus point here is, the therapists are licensed and they take utmost care of your privacy. So, you can rest assured here.
Let us start with our honest BetterHelp review now!
What are the Modes of Offering Help on BetterHelp?
BetterHelp offers through its app and mobile site as well. The sources of communication between you and your therapist on BetterHelp can be messages, video calls, or audio calls. The choice is yours to pick the mode of communication and keep altering between them as well. You will be able to find your therapy calendar in the app wherein you can set your meetings with the therapist accordingly.
What Counseling Areas are Covered by BetterHelp?
BetterHelp provides telehealth services in different areas. Which makes it a great platform for helping people achieve their life goals. The certified counselors on BetterHelp offer help in various areas like:
How Much does BetterHelp Cost?
You can try BetterHelp free for a Month before subscribing to it. BetterHelp provides different subscription plans. You are free to choose the one that you find most suitable for you. Rest assured, the services in all the packs are by and large the same; it is the length that causes variation in the price.
- $80/week billed weekly (unlimited messages and a weekly live session for seven days).
- $65/week billed monthly (4 weeks of unlimited messages and weekly live sessions for $260).
- $45/week billed quarterly (3 months of unlimited messages and weekly live sessions for $540).
- $35/week billed yearly (12 months of unlimited messages and weekly live sessions for $1,820).
Can I Trust BetterHelp?
We understand that trusting and choosing an online platform for your mental health can be a perplexing task for you. But, you can leave your worries bag behind when it comes to BetterHelp. Not only has it served and satisfied many patients but also has more safety measures to offer. This includes:
- A safe, secure, and easy to operate the platform.
- Their therapists are certified.
- The platform has full compliance with HIPAA law.
- They allow you to have sessions from home along with great affordability (and free-trial).
- They do not share your data with any third party application.
The Special Programmes Catering The Needs of Special Population through BetterHelp
BetterHelp understands that a certain population requires special assistance. To make sure that you don’t have to look elsewhere for it BetterHelp runs some specific programs too (which ends up making it your one-stop destination). This includes:
Regain.us: This site is dedicated to couples counseling.
Pride Counseling: Under this program, counseling is offered to the LGBTQIA flag bearers.
TeenCounseling.com: It is focused on offering counseling services to teens.
What makes it even better is the fact that BetterHelp doesn’t charge anything extra for these special counseling areas. The price will by and large remain the same.
Why Choose BetterHelp?
If you are thinking whether or not BetterHelp is the right choice for you or not you can check this list of pros and cons on the same. It will give you a clearer idea of what BetterHelp has to offer to you!
Pros of BetterHelp
- There is a pool of benefits that BetterHelp telehealth services have to offer, this includes:
- They offer a 30 day free trial period (which is not usual in traditional therapy).
- They assign you homework which ensures that you are working on yourself even when not in touch with the therapist.
- You can contact your therapist anytime you want.
- There are group sessions that make you feel connected with others and comfortable with yourself.
- They offer different modes of sessions.
- The therapy process and its outcomes are explained in great detail.
- The number of services offered by them is great for the price.
- They allow you to find a therapist that best fits you (so you can shop around a bit).
Cons of BetterHelp
The three cons that I could identify while using the BetterHelp app were:
- The sessions are scheduled for 4 times a week that cannot be altered.
- Its expenses are not typically covered by most insurance companies.
- Sometimes, responses from therapists may feel more generic.
How To Use BetterHelp For Yourself?
Here is a step-by-step guide for you to use BetterHelp:
1. Download the app or visit the website.
2. Enter your basic information from your age to your spiritual preferences.
3. Continue creating your profile by answering all the important questions.
4. After completing the questionnaire you will be asked to create your personal account. They provide full safety measures by allowing you to generate a pin. Making the app accessible only by you.
5. Then you will be asked about your therapist preferences (for the best fit) and give a brief about the issues you wish to address.
6. You will be further directed to the subscription page. Choose the plan that suits you the most or try the free trial.
Finally, you will be connected with your therapist shortly. Till then you can access the other features like calendar, journaling, and more that are available.
You will be all set to begin your healing journey after that!
Why Choose Betterhelp Over Traditional Therapy
If you are wondering why I should choose BetterHelp over traditional therapy then we suggest you have a look at the image provided below. It will help you understand what makes BetterHelp a better choice for you, considering the pool of services that it has to offer. These services often go missing in traditional therapy. So here is an overview for you.
Why Should You Join BetterHelp As A Mental Health Professional?
If you are willing to join BetterHelp as a Mental Health Professional but would like to have a clearer vision for the same then you should definitely consider these points:
Here are the key requirements that need to be fulfilled before you join BetterHelp as a mental health care professional:
1. You should be licensed by a State Board to provide counseling services.
2. You must hold experience in counseling for adults, couples, and/or teens.
3. You must be currently residing in the US.
4. You are required to have excellent writing skills along with, reliable internet connection.
If you wish to provide your services through BetterHelp and you meet the criterias mentioned above then click here to join the team.
FAQs – BetterHelp Get an Answer for all your General Queries
1. Is BetterHelp worth the money?
Yes. Many users of BetterHelp claim it to be helpful for them. It is affordable and uses traditional therapy methods. Which makes BetterHelp worth your money, time, and efforts. In fact, it is on the list of the cheapest online therapy platforms available for you.
2. Who are the counselors that are at BetterHelp?
We understand that your mental health concerns should be taken care of by the experts only. BetterHelp too takes it into consideration and makes sure that only licensed, experienced, trained, and accredited psychologists (Ph.D./PsyD) take care of you and your mental wellness.
They only hire professionals who have either of the following licenses:
1. Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, LICSW, LISW, LICSW, etc)
2. Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT, LCMFT, LIMFT, etc.)
3. Mental Health Counselor (LMHC, LCMHC, LMHP, LPMHC, etc.)
4. Professional Counselor (LPC, LPCC, LCPC)
They are qualified and certified by their state’s professional board after successfully completing the eligibility criteria. They all possess at least 3 years and 1,000 hours of hands-on experience. Making them a perfect choice for you.
3. Can BetterHelp diagnose you?
No. Although BetterHelp has a team of certified and qualified counselors working to serve you, the site’s policy and Terms of Services gives a clear disclaimer “for the provision of clinical diagnosis.”
4. Does BetterHelp have a free trial?
Yes. BetterHelp does offer you a 30-day free trial. You can actually try and test it for 30 days and then decide whether or not you want to continue with it further.
5. Can I change my therapist in BetterHelp? How?
Yes. As discussed above BetterHelp is oriented to provide you with the best help to make it happen, they do offer a smooth process to change your therapist. I have always emphasized on the fact that no one counselor is the best fit.
So, you might want to look around a bit and the counselor that makes it a perfect fit for you to work with. All you have to do is open your profile menu and click “Change Counselor.” This will further direct you to a page that gives you an option to choose between 6 best-recommended therapists based on your prior information.
6. Can I cancel my subscription with BetterHelp?
BetterHelp cancellation policy is easy, fast, and reliable. All you have to do is follow these steps:
1. Log in.
2. Navigate to your payment settings.
3. You’ll see a link to “Change or Cancel your Plan.”
4. To “Cancel you plan” click on the link and answer a multiple-choice question about why you are canceling.
5. Next, you will be asked if you’d like the same therapist if you resume the therapy in the future.
6. After confirming your cancellation, you will receive an email for the same.
7. Does BetterHelp offer discounts?
Yes. BetterHelp does offer discounts to those who are students or unemployed. In the current times of pandemic, it offers free service to those who are financially affected by the COVID.
8. Is BetterHelp safe to use?
Yes. BetterHelp is a safe platform. It makes sure that your data and information remains safe with them.
Will I recommend BetterHelp?
Yes! I have taken its free trial and found it useful, resourceful, and helpful. Therefore, I would recommend you to use BetterHelp.
To know more about BetterHelp you can browse through first-person accounts and check BetterHelp reviews on Reddit.
I hope this BetterHelp review will help you make a better choice while you choose the best telehealth platform for yourself.
Have something to add in the review? Share it with us in the comments section below.
Thank you for reading!!!
“As BetterHelp Affiliate, I may receive compensation from BetterHelp or other sources if you purchase products or services through the links provided on this page.”