Creating A Mindful Morning Routine For A Better Life And Happier You
Mindfulness has been a buzzword in the field of mental health for quite a few years. In fact, many of us have even tried to incorporate mindfulness in our life to experience its positive impact (this includes me). But how many of us have succeeded in achieving the same is the question! We understand that meditation may not be everyone’s cup of tea!
Well, then how to enjoy the benefits of mindfulness meditation? The good news is that you can cherish mindfulness by making it a part of your daily life. All you have to do is take a step further and incorporate mindfulness in your life through a mindful morning routine. After all, the morning routine decides how your entire day will look, so why not start it with mindfulness.
Why Have A Mindful Morning Routine
We have become hamsters running on a wheel all day long! The moment we wake up we start to contemplate what our day should look like, exploring the things that need to be done, and then we get started with it. Which leaves us with little or no time for ourselves. That is when a mindful morning routine comes to play, creating your way to success and positivity. Here are some ways a mindful morning routine can bring change in your life.
- A mindful morning routine prevents us from drifting aimlessly from one thing to the next.
- Having a mindful morning routine helps our mind and body to be in sync.
- Through a mindful morning routine, you become aware of your surroundings and your inner self.
- You learn to enjoy, cherish, and be grateful for what you have in front of you, through a mindful morning routine.
- A mindful morning routine is a beautiful practice to show self-love and appreciation.
- You activate all your senses for the day through mindful morning rituals.
- By practicing morning mindfulness you have an intention each day to live by.
- Apart from all this a mindful morning routine also let you enjoy the benefits of mindfulness. This includes: improved memory, better focus, and intuition, enhanced productivity, decreased stress, and a lot more.
Am I Following A Mindful Morning Routine
You might be happy with your current morning routine but does it offer the benefits of mindfulness along with it? To help you answer this big question let us first answer these questions:
- Are you starting your morning snoozing your alarm several times?
- Do you start your day by scrolling through your social media?
- Does your stay start by looking at the screen of your laptop?
- Are you counting your blessings or the shortcomings of your life when you wake up?
- Do you struggle to spare 5 minutes of your morning for yourself (and you alone)?
If you nodded with a yes to any of these questions, your morning routine is surely missing the essence of mindfulness. Nothing to be worried about! It is never too late to start after all! We are sharing with you a guideline to create and make a mindful morning routine a part of your lifestyle.
How To Create A Mindful Morning Routine
A mindful morning routine is beyond meditation and you don’t have to bring any major changes in your life. Just one step at a time and you will see your life moving. Below we are sharing with you 5 simple ways to start your mindful morning routine and my before 9 am secrets with you.
1. Go to Bed Early
To start your morning afresh you have to work the night before. Good night’s rest is a great way to reset your mind and body. Make sure that you get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night to kick start your morning mindfully. To make your bedtime sync with mindfulness, we would also recommend you to keep all the blue light-emitting gadgets aside, as they can suppress the sleep-inducing hormone (melatonin) in your body.
Also, don’t forget the old saying we all practiced during our school days, early to bed, and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. It is just that now it can make you mindful as well. So make sure you get your good night sleep for a mindful day ahead!
2. Practice Gratitude for A Great Start of Your Day
Before you get out of bed and start your day it is advised that you take a moment to count on your blessings. Think of everything that you are grateful for in your life, be it the higher powers or the blanket that offers you warmth.
You don’t have to be specific with what you are grateful for, anything that comes to your mind just expresses gratitude towards it. By doing so you pull all your racing and apprehensive thoughts to the moment, to the good, and do your best.
All you have to do is close your eyes and tell yourself a minimum of 3 things that you are grateful for.
3. Eat A Healthy Breakfast (Mindfully)
Do you know what is the most important meal of the day? Breakfast! It is the first source of energy that you feed your body with and it drives you the whole day. But that is not! Your breakfast is the first way to incorporate mindful activity in your life. Wondering how?
By eating mindfully you can activate your senses and tell yourself that you are in control of reality (not your racing thoughts). To make mindful eating a part of your mindful morning routine you just deliberately notice the different textures, aroma, sensations, and flavors of your food.
You can just run this code in your mind and see a change in the way you are eating your food and living your life.
- E: Eating Purpose– Identify the purpose behind eating food, it can vary from food-to-food and person-to-person. Just ask “Why am I eating”.
- A: Acknowledge– Each bite that you eat in terms of its texture, size, flavors, etc., without being judgemental.
- T: Time– Give enough time to each bite rather than rushing on it,
4. Journal Your Thoughts
Journaling is a great tool to bring yourself in the now. It helps you anchor to what is happening in your life currently. Through penning down your thoughts in a journal you do give yourself a reality check of how you are feeling and what you are thinking at the moment.
This is indeed a hallmark of mindfulness! Just write everything down that comes to your mind. It will liberate you, make you feel well prepared for the day ahead, and create more space for fresh thoughts.
5. Avoiding 9 Things Before 9 A.M
This is the new and probably the most beautiful addition to my mindful morning routine. I figured out 9 things that were a bummer in my journey of starting my day mindfully and now I keep a check that I am not doing either of these. Trust me the results are positive. So I am sharing my Before 9 am rulebook with you.
- No social media before 9.
- No snoozing of alarm after 9.
- No news consumption before 9.
- No food before having a glass of water.
- No caffeine overdose.
- No laptop (office or college work) before 9.
- No starting off my favorite series where I left it last night.
- No skipping of my morning ritual (chanting).
- No begging of the day without greeting my family members.
All these 9 actions make me realize that I am in the present moment, appreciating what it has to offer to me. Instead of letting any external stimuli take my attention from the moment or depending on them for my day to start.
See didn’t I tell you that creating a mindful morning routine is all about the small changes that you make in your daily lifestyle.
Now it is time for you to start with your mindful morning routine and enjoy the positive impact of mindfulness in your life. Remember the way you start your morning determines how you feel, think, and act for the rest of your day, so kick start it with your best!
“If you win the morning, you win the day.”~ Tim Ferriss
Thank you for reading!!!