How To Deal With The Feelings Of Unrequited Love?
Do you know what unrequited love is? Have you ever had a crush who you never spoke to or had the courage to go up to them and tell them you liked them? You just admired them from afar or probably daydreamed about you two living a beautiful life together.
Well, this is what unrequited love might look like. This example may be far less in intensity because unrequited love is much more serious than simply having a crush on someone which might change in a matter of a few months.
Most of us have experienced unrequited love in our lives. The intensity might differ but unrequited love is more common than other forms of love. If you are someone who has loved someone and not received that love back, there are high chances of having faced negative emotional consequences of the rejection.
Today, we are going to see how you can deal with and overcome feelings of unrequited love. But before we do that, let’s look at what unrequited love really is…
What Do You Mean By Unrequited Love?
Unrequited love is that kind of love that is not reciprocated. The lack of return in love can be because of various reasons like the absence of the one you love, rejection by someone you love, or infidelity in a relationship. Some people experience unrequited love only because they haven’t had the courage to acknowledge their love for someone else or simply fail to tell that person that they love them only because they fear rejection.
In layman’s language, unrequited love is often referred to as one-sided love. Unrequited love comes out of pure fondness but upon rejection or non-acceptance, it can turn into something way eviler than revenge.
There are uncountable negative consequences of feelings of unrequited love because love is a strong emotion and not receiving it back creates an even stronger repulse. This response to unrequited love makes it even more important for all of us to know how to deal with unrequited love before something awful is manifested.
Let’s look at what one should do to overcome unrequited love or one-sided love, as we’d like to call it…
How To Deal With Unrequited Love?
If you are someone who has unfortunately been loving someone who can’t love you back, begin with accepting the truth about your situation. Unrequited love can completely mess up your mind, thoughts, and emotions but you need to bring them back in control.
Here’s what you can do if you are dealing with unrequited love;
- Do not fall prey to illusions: even though you want to gain all the attention of your crush/friend that you are interested in, simply assuming that they are interested in you too will only make you feel worse. Let go of the illusion that both of you have mutual feelings. Because if they felt the same, you must have seen some signs by now.
- Try to get to know your crush/friend better: no one is perfect! Now when I say get to know them better, I don’t want you to fall for them even harder. I want you to find their imperfections, and focus on their negative side. By doing this you can end the obsession you have with them.
- Keep yourself away from them: if you are dealing with unrequited love, it makes you want to spend as much time as possible with your crush. Now that urge needs to be curbed. Try to keep yourself away from your crush and focus on something else.
- Acknowledge your feelings but also Accept the truth: it’s very important to acknowledge what you are feeling and why you are having those feelings. You also need to understand that you can’t force someone to love you back, so respect their choice, and accept reality the way it is.
- Look for other prospects: someone with unrequited love once said, “Don’t be with someone you love, be with someone who loves you.” try to find someone who truly values you and loves you. There is no point waiting for someone who is never going to return.
- Practice self-love: loving yourself is very important. You put yourself through so much pain and stress by just thinking about how life could be if things were different. Dealing with unrequited love is tough but that doesn’t mean you stop caring of your own self. Take some time off and indulge in self-care and don’t forget to be kind to yourself.
- Get some professional help: if dealing with unrequited love becomes way too tough for you to handle, try getting some professional help. Feelings of unrequited love can make you feel emotionally exhausted and the best way to deal with it is to get some professional help. A licensed therapist will help manage your feelings and emotions.
That’s All Folks!
I hope you found this blog about how to deal with unrequited love helpful and interesting. Do share this blog with your friends and family or someone you think is trying to overcome the feelings of unrequited love. Dealing with unrequited love can be challenging, if anytime you feel overwhelmed don’t shy away from seeking some professional guidance.
Thanks for reading
Take care and stay Safe.