Meditate With Crystals: The Science Behind Crystals, How To Get Started, Methods & More
I’ve seen many Instagram reels and videos highlighting the use of crystals and stones to entice a sense of calmness and relaxation. These crystals and stones I’m talking about have not only gained popularity as accent accessories but have also prompted an interest for abstract purposes.
Many cultural practices around the world have been using healing crystals and stones to provide healing. Not only this but these crystals have been used for meditation purposes for years.
Carol Boote, a crystal healer, and meditation practitioner say that historically, crystals have been used for healing and protection along with many methods of meditations to achieve higher consciousness. She further adds that the use of crystals and stones in meditation can help deepen your focus by acting as a focus object and can help raise your self-awareness.
But is this information backed by science?
Here’s What Science Has To Say About Crystals
While there’s no scientific evidence regarding the healing properties of crystals and stones, there are still studies and research that states that crystals only offer a placebo effect. The placebo effect presents a kind of interpersonal healing that can be different from medicinal treatment.
In a 2011 study, it was cited that placebo treatment can help change the brain. While further studies and research are needed to determine the efficacy of crystals and stones in healing, there’s still historic evidence that says that for centuries, crystals and stones have been used for spiritual and healing purposes.
How To Meditate With Crystals?
To practice meditation with crystals you need to find the right crystal and you must have a will to practice meditation.
The objective is to practice meditation as regularly as you can and make meditation a part of your self-care. When you sit down to practice, you need to set the intention, find a comfortable place where you can concentrate, adjust the room temperature, and fix the lighting to emit a soft and relaxed feel.
To enhance the spiritual experience, you can also add elements to your meditation room such as:
- Aromatherapy oils
- Incense sticks
- Images of Buddha
- Images of your happy place
Now, you need to get the crystals ready. To do that you need to:
- Cleanse Your Crystals: Before beginning, you need to cleanse your chosen meditation crystal or stone. You can do this by either passing your crystal through incense smoke, using chanting, letting your crystal soak in moonlight, washing it under running water, or putting your crystal in a bowl of rice.
- Ground Yourself: Next, you need to ground yourself and connect with your higher Self. Here, you can set your intention, ask your crystals for their vibrations, and connect with your intuition. Try to stay relaxed during this step and to maintain alertness, you can keep your eyes half-open.
Here, make sure that your wandering attention is acknowledged but doesn’t stay in your mind for long. Keep your focus on the crystal vibration, your vision, and your thoughts.
- Pay Attention To Time: Experts suggest that you shouldn’t keep meditation crystals on your body for more than 20 minutes. If, at any point, you feel uncomfortable with the crystals, then immediately remove them from your person and drink some water.
- Finish The Meditation: When your session comes to a close, gradually bring your awareness to the room. Next, wiggle your toes and fingers but do not rush yourself. Drink some water and become aware of your surroundings, slowly.
Methods Of Crystal Meditation
Now that you know how to get started, it’s time to see what method of meditation works for you.
1. Crystal Circles
If you’re not comfortable with putting crystals on your person, then you can put crystals in a circle around you or a crystal grid in front of you.
2. Crystal Bath*
If you can’t find it in you to relax, you can use crystals in a hot bath. Having a warm bath is relaxing in itself and using crystals in the water as you bathe can help in further relaxation. *Make sure the crystals you use are suitable for water.
3. Crystal Chakra
Chakras are energy points in your body that represent your spiritual self. When using crystals during meditation, you can place a crystal on the chakra that lines up with the intention you’ve set.
Crystal Types & Their Benefits
You don’t need to have many crystals to get started with crystal meditation. Experts recommend two crystals for when you’re getting started. One is a clear quartz crystal and the other one is a selenite crystal.
Clear quartz can help in chakra balancing or centering your energy points in the body. Selenite is a gypsum-based crystal that can help you connect with your higher self. Selenite helps in crown chakra activation and can help heal your body due to its high vibration properties.
However, choosing the right crystal, in the end, depends on your intuition and the stone you feel most drawn to.
Let’s take a look at some of the common meditation crystal types and their benefits:
- Amethyst: This stone has strong healing energy, can help in improving sleep quality, support circulation of blood, and can help in chakra balancing.
- Garnet: Many crystal healers believe that this stone can help in providing energy to the body and is recommended when you’re recovering from an illness.
- Quartz: Clear quartz can help increase awareness and lower stress while rose quartz can help increase feelings of self-love and compassion towards others. Smoky quartz is a grounding stone that can help ground you and improve your mood.
- Black Tourmaline: This stone can help protect you from negative energies. So if you’re practicing meditation to reduce negativity, then black tourmaline can be a good choice.
- Selenite: The most commonly used stone for meditation, selenite can help increase your connection with your higher self and consciousness.
- Citrine: This meditation stone is known as the “stone of joy” and can help in increasing joy and opulence.
- Sodalite: This stone is believed by many to attract feelings of calmness and peacefulness to your mind. So if you’re practicing meditation to feel calm, sodalite might be a good choice.
- Lapis Lazuli: This meditation stone is believed to increase spiritual growth, intuition, and can help resolve conflicts.
- Tiger’s Eye: Lastly, this meditation stone is known to offer empowerment, increase assertiveness, and help you find clarity in your intentions.
Many people believe that the use of crystals in meditation can help increase focus, self-awareness, and can also aid in improving your connection with your consciousness. While further scientific evidence is needed to prove the efficacy of meditation using crystals, many experts claim that meditation stones and crystals have been used in healing and meditation for centuries.
Meditation using crystals is safe to practice and if you’re thinking about using crystals in meditation, then I recommend you pick the crystal that matches your intention.
I hope this article helped you understand how to meditate with crystals. For more, you can write to us at email@example.com or DM us on our social media pages. Have you tried crystal meditation? Did it help? Let us know in the comments below!