What Actually Happens In Therapy Sessions? How To Get Help Effectively
We do understand that before stepping into the first therapy or counseling session we all get so many questions regarding what actually happens in therapy sessions. So, let me tell you that all of the questions which strike on your mind are valid.
Also Read: Questions to Ask your Therapist during your First Therapy Session
And it is actually common to feel unsure or worried before taking the therapy sessions. Through this blog, I have covered all of the questions which strike while stepping into a therapy session. Let’s get started.
This blog covers:
- 1. What Qualifications Does a Therapist Hold?
- 2. What Questions is My Therapist Going to Ask?
- 3. How Many Sessions Should I Take to Balance My Life?
- 4. Does Everything in The Therapy Session is Confidential?
- 5. How Does it Feel After Taking Therapy Sessions?
- 6. How to Get Help Through Therapy Sessions Effectively?
1. What Qualifications Does a Therapist Hold?
Your assigned therapist should always be a Psychology Degree holder. Do not opt for anyone who is not certified for what they are doing.
Your therapist should describe himself or herself as:
- A wellbeing practitioner
- A counselor
- A Clinical Psychologist or Psychologist
- A Psychotherapist or Therapist
- A Psychiatrist
Always make sure that your Therapist is well-trained for delivering the therapies. There are various fraud therapists in the market so make sure you check the whole background before filling any form for therapy.
2. What Questions is My Therapist Going to Ask?
Your therapist is going to ask questions about your issues specifically. Your therapist might also ask about your personal life and professional life if you are comfortable sharing. Few of the therapists refer to the first session as an assessment or an intake session.
The session might include:
- Type of therapy they are going to practice
- Number and duration of sessions and what therapy session going to be like
- Outcomes of the therapy sessions
- Confidentiality practice of the organization
- What happens when you miss or cancel a therapy session
- Any other concerns
Whenever you have any doubt regarding the therapy sessions, you can clearly go to the therapist and ask them about it.
Also Read: How To Tell Your Parents You Need Therapy?
3. How Many Sessions Should I Take to Balance My Life?
The number of sessions totally depends on the type of therapy you are getting and the type of the issue. The therapist aligns your therapy and counseling sessions according to it.
As far, there can be two types of therapies:
- Open-ended: This means the therapies can go as far as you wish to get sessions.
- Time-limited: This means therapy will end after a set of sessions.
Sessions are delivered:
- With your family members or partner
- In a combination
- Or in a group
Individual sessions basically are of 50 minutes but group sessions are longer.
Sessions take place in:
- A meeting room
- Online or over the call
- At your therapist’s office
Your therapist may ask questions about:
- Your past and current relationships
- Any bad or good history
- How you feel
- What you think about certain things
- How you behave
- Any other issues
4. Does Everything in The Therapy Session is Confidential?
Yes, confidentiality is a really important feature of a therapy session and in all cases, confidentiality is kept. But, in some cases there is some sort of steps that the therapist might take while consulting you:
After the session therapists consult the session with a supervisor who maintains confidentiality. Because it helps your therapists to provide better consultation and support to you. Additionally, a discussion with a supervisor ensures that you are getting appropriate treatment and support.
In case, your therapist feels like you are in danger of harming yourself, your therapist informs your GP or mentioned healthcare professions. In all cases, you will be the first person to get all the information regarding your treatment.
3. Organizational confidentiality
In case, your therapist includes GP practice in your treatment, you will always be the first person to tell in all the cases.
5. How Does it Feel After Taking Therapy Sessions?
You may experience a lot of emotions like relieved, energized, frustrated, overwhelmed… but it all depends on the session. Therefore, always try to talk it out, and if you feel any issue… try to talk with the therapist about it. So, they provide the therapies accordingly.
Also Read: How Is Behavior Therapy Different From Psychoanalysis?
6. How to Get Help Through Therapy Sessions Effectively?
In order to get help through your therapist effectively, communication is the only key. During sessions, try to talk, communicate, and tell them everything which bothers you (if you are comfortable). Always tell your therapist about how you feel after sessions, if there are any changes or not.
Also Read: Communication And Mental Health: Why Is It The Key To Mental Wellness
I hope this blog answers all your questions related to therapy sessions. Comment down and let us know if you have any more questions related to the first therapy session.
For more such content, follow Calm Sage on all social media platforms.
Thanks for reading!
Top 15 Couples Therapy Exercises To Try At Home
20+ Art Therapy Activities For Instant Stress Relief
Top 10 Online Therapy and Counseling Programs 2021