Want To Appear Confident? Here Are 10 Body Language Tips To Help You Look Confident!
“Confidence is key” – you must have heard of this saying, right? If you have confidence, nothing can be impossible but did you know that many people struggle with appearing confident? Especially if they struggle with social awkwardness or social anxiety.
Confident body language is how others perceive you. But what is it about body language, or more specifically, non-verbal communication that helps us appear confident?
Don’t worry, I’ll help you understand what is non-verbal communication and how body language can help us appear confident and change how others perceive us.
Body Language & Confidence: What’s The Link?
Body language is a form of non-verbal communication and if you use the right posture and pose, your body language can help you look more confident. Other means of non-verbal communication that can improve your confidence can include:
- Body posture
- Hand gestures
- The tone of your voice
- The volume of your voice
- Facial expressions
Among others. You can also consciously choose one type of nonverbal communication to look more confident or sometimes you may use these types without being aware of them.
For ages, people have been using nonverbal communication to communicate as well as appear confident. When you appear confident, you encourage others to open up to you and trust you. As a confident person, you show others that you are a leader and by showing this, others will follow you and admire you.
I read this study a few years ago that a simple act of smiling can make us feel happy. The same goes for our body language. When your posture or the way you gesture says “confidence”, you automatically begin to feel confident.
Try it! It works!
Is Lack Of Confidence Bad?
Not at all! There will always be times where you might not feel confident or where you don’t want to appear confident. Some instances can be where you want to learn more about a particular subject; here appearing confident even though you have no idea about the subject can not be in favor for you.
In such instances, appearing confident may keep you from learning thoroughly as you wish. Even in situations where you want to express empathy, appearing confident is not recommended. You shouldn’t appear certain when you don’t understand what others are going through.
How To Appear More Confident?
Even if you are not confident, improving your body language can help you feel confident and also improve your self-esteem.
Some quick and easy body language tips can help you look confident. Below are 10 confident body language tips that you can use to appear more confident:
1. Eye Contact Is A Must. One of the most important body language or nonverbal cues is maintaining eye contact during social interactions. Maintaining good eye contact shows that you are comfortable in others’ presence and that you are not easily intimidated. During social interaction, make sure you maintain eye contact at least 60% of the time. A simple trick to help you: Look into the other person’s eyes just enough to notice their eye color!
2. Lean Forward To Appear Attentive. When you’re engaged in a conversation with others, you might find yourself leaning backward, this kind of posture indicates that you are intimidated and uninterested in the conversation. Instead, during a conversation, lean forward. This displays that you are attentive and interested in what the other person is saying.
3. Keep Your Back Straight. Slouchiness is not going to help you here. If you’re struggling with social anxiety, then you’re someone who tends to take up as little space as possible, meaning you find yourself slumping in your seat with your shoulders hunched. To look confident and to show confident body language, keep your back straight, shoulders straight, and avoid crossing your arms and legs.
4. Keep Your Head Up. When you are nervous or anxious, do you keep your head down as you talk or your chin tilted downwards when talking with others? This is a sign of anxiety and nervousness. Instead of keeping your chin down, keep your head up and your eyes forward.
5. Avoid Fidgeting. Fidgeting is another sign of anxiety and nervousness. To avoid appearing anxious, avoid fidgeting. This may include avoiding shuffling your feet or tapping your feet. To look more confident, keep your movements as sure as possible. Nervous ticks can draw others’ attention from your words and more on your appearance.
6. Keep Your Hands Engaged. It may look easy to not keep your hands engaged while talking. If you’re struggling with social awkwardness, then you might even experience trembling hands. If you’re worried about your shaking hands, don’t. To look more confident, keep your hands engaged as you communicate. To appear self-assured make sure you talk with your hands too.
7. Slow Your Gestures. Yes, gestures are as important as your posture but keep in mind that fast movements and fast gestures can make you seem more anxious than confident. Slow and deliberate gestures, on the other hand, can amplify your confidence and make a difference in how you present yourself in front of others.
8. Widen Your Stance. Another way to appear more confident is to widen your stance. Keep your feet apart and your knees relaxed. Also, keep in mind that when you walk, take larger and confident steps than smaller unsure steps. Your steps, your stance must display authority. It will also make you seem less anxious and stressed.
9. Keep Smiling. One smile can ease your nervousness as well as those of others. When you smile at someone, they will remember you more than others who don’t smile as much often. When you smile, you let others know that they can trust you and that you are approachable. Also, a smile given is a smile gained.
10. Give A Good Handshake. Body language is not only nonverbal cues and gestures. Handshakes mean a lot too when it comes to body language. A firm but gentle handshake shows not only confidence but strength too. It means that you are confident of yourself as well as the person whose hand you are shaking. A weak or limp handshake shows you’re intimidated or lack confidence.
Appearing more confident than you feel can be challenging but some adjustments to your body language can help. Remember, fake it till you make it! At first, it might feel strange to consciously notice and change your body language but with time and practice, you will begin to appear confident naturally.
If you struggle with social anxiety disorder and find it difficult to converse in social situations, talking to a professional and getting their help can help you improve your social skills. Remember, help is available. All you need to do is ask!
I hope this article helped you understand how body language can help you appear more confident. If the above-mentioned confident body language tips helped you, let me know in the comments below. You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM us on social media!
“When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things.” – Joe Namath
Inhale Confidence, Exhale Doubt!