All You Need To Know About Narcissistic Personality Disorder
A narcissistic personality disorder is a type of personality disorder or a mental condition wherein a person inflates the sense of own importance. It’s all about a need for excessive admiration or attention, lack of empathy for others, and troubled relationships.
Behind all this, extreme confidence comes from fragile self-esteem that can be broken with even slight disapproval. This type of personality disorder causes problems in professional and personal life like work, relationships, financial affairs, friendship, and more.
People with this disorder are generally disappointed and unhappy especially when they don’t get any special admiration or favor they believe that they must justify. Such people often find relationships unfulfilling due to their demanding nature. This blog covers everything you need to know about Narcissistic personality disorder. So, let’s get started.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder may experience:
- Feelings of an exaggerated sense of self-centeredness or self-importance.
- Strong senses of excessive and constant admiration along with entitlement.
- Always feels superior even without achieving anything that aims into something productive.
- Always exaggerates talents and achievements in front of others to be noted or admired.
- Always surrounded with fantasies about success, brilliance, beauty, power, or perfect mate without even achieving it.
- Always believes that they are superior and often relate themselves with special people or people who have achieved something.
- Always tries to monopolize conversations and tries to look down on people to overcome their own inferiority.
- Always expects to have special favors without questioning their accomplishments and achievements.
- Always takes advantage of their loved ones to get what they need.
- People with unwillingness or inability of recognizing the requirements and feelings of others.
- They are always envious of others and always have a feeling that others are jealous of them.
- They often behave in a haughty or arrogant manner which impacts on their relationship with people.
- They always insist on having everything best without even thinking about problems associated with
Moreover, people with this disorder experiences problem in handling criticism which leads to:
- Need of special treatment
- Inner rage and contempt to show that they are superior
- Difficulty in regulating behavior and emotions
- Unable to deal with stress and changes
- Depressive symptoms
- Obsessive about their perfectionism
Causes of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
As of now, the actual causes are unknown for this disorder. As this disorder is related to personality disorder and other mental health issues, it can be linked with:
People with this disorder are uncomfortable with a parent-child relationship. They have either experienced excessive adoration or criticism that changed their way of living life and communicating with others.
People with this disorder have impaired connection of brain and thinking and behavior
They have inherited characteristics that bring them into narcissism.
Complications and Risk Factors of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
As per research, it has been observed that this disorder is highly seen in females over males and it takes its roots in early adulthood or teenage. Research also shows that it develops due to different parenting styles or overprotective or neglectful nature. Indeed, neurobiology and genetics play an important role in the development of this disorder.
Complications related to narcissistic personality disorder are:
- Issues at school or work
- Anxiety and depression
- Difficulties in relationship
- Drug or alcohol misuse
- Suicidal behavior or thoughts
- Physical health issues
Treatment of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
If you or someone you know you think is experiencing this disorder, before estimating on your own, we suggest booking an appointment with a certified mental health provider.
If you’re looking for help online, then click here to connect with a certified and experienced mental health expert from BetterHelp.
People with this disorder are unlikely to get treated. And with time, it begins to impact their everyday lives. Therefore, try to arrange proper treatment for them otherwise, this disorder may get worse with time.
As of now, the best treatment option available for Narcissistic Personality Disorder is Psychotherapy. Psychotherapy is more effective than medications. It totally depends on your therapist which type of therapy he/she wants to take upon the patient. As a preventive measure, you can try to:
- Get proper diagnosis and treatment ASAP.
- Tell every incident related to childhood or teenage to the therapist.
- You can also participate in family therapy for developing better coping strategies.
- Try to attend all the parenting classes or seek guidance from the experts.
Related Read: The new method of “TEAM” Parenting
I hope this blog helps you to understand Narcissistic Personality Disorder in brief. Comment down queries related to the disorder. For more such content, follow Calm Sage on all social media platforms.
Thanks for reading!