Everything You Need To Know About Orthorexia Nervosa: Eating Disorder
When the obsession with healthy eating reaches an extreme level, it may result in Orthorexia Nervosa. Similar to other eating disorders, Orthorexia Nervosa results in severe symptoms and consequences related to mental and physical health. This blog contains:
- What is Orthorexia Nervosa?
- Causes of Orthorexia Nervosa
- Impacts of Orthorexia Nervosa on Health
- Self-Help Tips to Recover from Orthorexia Nervosa
What is Orthorexia Nervosa?
Orthorexia Nervosa is an eating disorder caused due to an obsession with healthy food consumption. Other eating disorders include unhealthy eating, meanwhile, Orthorexia Nervosa involves the obsession of healthy eating at an extreme level.
Orthorexia Nervosa basically revolves around quality eating, not quantity which leads to severe health issues and mental health issues after some time. People with Orthorexia Nervosa carry an extreme obsession with the purity and quality of healthy food.
Causes of Orthorexia Nervosa
The focus towards healthy eating and dieting converts into an obsession after some time but it begins when your healthy eating diet begins. Moreover, keeping yourself balanced while eating healthy can dissolve the signs of Orthorexia Nervosa in the beginning.
Additionally, research shows that people with Orthorexia Nervosa carry Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder personalities which develop more risk facts related to the eating disorder.
After prolonged time and reach to an extreme level, Orthorexia Nervosa can develop into “full-blown Orthorexia”. Basically, Orthorexia Nervosa is observed in ballet dancers, athletes, opera singers, and healthcare workers.
Impacts of Orthorexia Nervosa on Health
Orthorexia Nervosa has various negative health impacts and can be divided into three below-mentioned categories:
Below mentioned are some of the common physical effects observed in people with Orthorexia Nervosa:
- Can lead to malnutrition
- Heart rate issues
- Digestion problems
- Hormonal imbalances
- Impaired bone system
Below mentioned are some of the common psychological effects observed in people with Orthorexia Nervosa:
- Feeling of guilt
- Compulsive behavior
- Less problem-solvingskills
Below mentioned are some of the common social effects observed in people with Orthorexia Nervosa:
- Poor social connections due to purity and sanitizing habits
- Less social activities
- Social isolation
*If you are experiencing such symptoms, we strongly recommend you book an appointment with your healthcare provider or certified nutritionist ASAP.
Self-Help Tips to Recover from Orthorexia Nervosa
- Share your feelings and experiences with the people who support you. Whenever you feel anxious or stressed about your issues, communicate,and establish inner calm.
- You can also join the eating disorder groupso that you can get whole advice regarding eating disorders. Or you can also join any online therapy program for 24*7 accesses.
- Try to share all the feelings and issues with your healthcare provider, nutritionist, or counselor so that they can guide you properly.
- Do not try to tweak your treatment plan. Do not skip therapies and other parts of treatment for better and sooner recovery from eating disorders.
- Follow a proper diet so that your body can get adequate nutrition. You can ask your nutritionist to customize your plan with the addition of your favorite delicacies.
- Make sure you also invest your time in activities that helpyou connect with your inner self like meditation or yoga.
- More importantly, avoid negative people who only drain your energy and de-motivate you. Protect yourself from bad vibes and establish positive vibes in your way.
- Believe in yourself and remind yourself that nothing is impossible. You have got it and you are definitely going to win. Bring out the positive with the power of mantras.
Please note: Calm Sage recommends you book an appointment with a healthcare provider or certified nutritionist before concluding anything on your own.
I hope this blog helps you to understand Orthorexia Nervosa. For more such content, follow Calm Sage on all social media platforms.
Thanks for reading!
More Recommended Articles:
Eating Disorder Online Support Groups and Where to find them
Everything You Must Know About Eating Disorder Therapy
Informative. Keep the good work!