Morning Anxiety: How To Calm It Down & Sip Hot Coffee
A fresh day shall start with good thoughts, being thankful to God for good sleep and planning your day ahead calmly while sipping hot coffee or ginger tea. But many of us are not able to go through the calm process and rather face morning anxiety as soon as the alarm snoozes. If it’s also the case with you, there is no need to worry.
Anxiety is a part of normal life. However, excessive worrying about your tasks which could be done with good planning may cause early morning anxiety. Moreover, the chances of having poor sleep also pitches in that disrupt the routine of a person abruptly. So what is morning anxiety exactly and how to keep it into balance for healthy living? Let’s figure it out.
What Is Morning Anxiety?
Morning anxiety is not a medically defined term and it refers to as waking up with a feeling of excessive stress and worry for further planning. This constant worry covers up your routine life and usually continues for at least 6 months. These worries could range from work, money, health and family issues.
The symptoms that make anxiety worse in the morning include:
- Irritable mood
- Restlessness and body fatigue
- Signs of panic attack, increased pulse rate and difficulty in breathing
We understand that morning anxiety is not an easy thing to deal with and one needs to find the coping mechanism.
Tips To Cure Morning Anxiety
Image Source: blessingmanifesting.com
1. Start With Improved Sleeping Habits
If you are going through sleeping problems like migraine, headaches and worries that are the reasons behind insomnia, you are likely to face anxiety the coming morning. Not just psychological but problems like decreased body energy, short term memory and irritability continues. In order to cope with morning anxiety symptoms:
- Avoid watching screens like mobile phones, television, tablets and laptops 1 hour prior to bed. You must even avoid consumption of coffee or alcohol before sleeping.
- Spend time reading good books, listening to your favorite tracks or cuddling with your partner.
- Try following a routine sleep time. For example, if you plan to sleep at 11 tonight, sleep at the same time every night. But make sure you try to complete at least 7 hours of sleep.
2. Identify Stressful Things In Morning
What are those things that act as a trigger for you every morning? Is it the alarm clock or your schedule for the coming day? If you could identify those triggers and work upon them in advance, you already found the key to cope with morning anxiety. For example, setting a beautiful alarm tone and planning the next day before sleeping could relax you down in advance.
Moreover, it is highly recommended that you plan your small chores like ironing clothes, cutting vegetables for lunch and polishing your shoes the night before. The next morning will begin with a boost of confidence and lack of anxiety.
3. Relaxation Exercises
You must be clear about your first task every morning and step on next one by one. Think about the first one and complete it before the next. For example,
- Yoga and deep breathing exercises: They make sure that your body is properly stretched out and oxygen is circulated properly inside your body.
- Visualisation exercises are a great help to make your mind calm and imagine all the things that you want from your life.
- Writing journals with your coffee could not only help you plan the day ahead but remind you of all the good things that you possess in the moment.
- Meditation is another highly effective and recommended activity to keep your mind focused in the present moment and control your emotions well.
4. Consider Healthy Diet
Various studies indicate a strong connection between diet and anxiety. Those who do not include fruits, vegetables, protein and refined carbohydrates in their diet have higher chances of facing an anxious mood.
Hence, if you begin to add omega-3 fatty acids and foods that reduce anxiety while avoiding excessive caffeine and alcohol, a healthy dietary balance could be achieved and severe morning anxiety could cut down. Although there is no proven fact of this theory, one can definitely try this method to cure morning anxiety.
5. Keep Your Thoughts Positive
Yes, we know that this is the toughest job but if you follow the above methods then the day of positivity is not so far. Although the pattern of negative thoughts may come to rest in a few days, your conscious efforts and mindfulness can surely help. Try to counter-question your every negative thought and ask if you can turn them into positive.
A counselor or therapist can help you with cognitive behavioral therapy which lets you understand your own thoughts, feelings and behavior and turn them into a positive direction. If you cannot visit them in person, team Calmsage helps you in delivering online therapy from your home’s couch only.
There is no need to be now worried about how’s and why’s of morning anxiety. Start with a good night schedule and control your thoughts for positive outcomes. There is no way that you can’t control the negativity associated with it and calm down morning anxiety symptoms. We are sure you can now make your coffee or tea with a cool mind and sip it looking outside the window.